Main Blog

hi

Friday, May 2, 2014

Mushin Update 4: Those good 'ol days...



Sweet Fish Odyssey, as I mentioned in my earlier posts, is a shoot 'em up about  memories. I'm not going to beat you over the head with this theme, it's there the moment you start the game. The shades of pale green blacks,and whites is , at least to you old farts out there, reminiscent of the lovely Gameboy classic.

 It was an era growing up that had so many clear memories I can recall. It always broke the boredom of being dragged clothes shopping with my mom. I can beat Mario Land and Megaman 1 blind folded(I can't even beat 2 bosses now...I'm gettin' old dude!!!) . Just the music its self puts me back to days of sleepovers with friends, or when a older kid told me how to beat a Megaman 1 boss at recess. When Splatter House 3 had me freaking out all day, my cousin let me play Kirby just to calm down.

Gameboy and games in general, have always been a time of connecting with others, family, and new friends. Which also lead into new friends sharing new things and becoming closer to one another because of that Nintendo ice breaker. The distinction of "gamer" never existed to me cause every one was playing(even my parents), so I never identified with it, and I still don't.

Yeah, having the art done this way is pandering to nostalgia to a degree, but it serves another purpose when you finally see the ending...,even if you missed out on the pale green Game boy era.


No comments:

Post a Comment